N Korea issues warning to South

North Korea’s military has reponded angrily to Seoul’s suggestion that it could launch a “pre-emptive strike” against Pyongyang to thwart any nuclear attacks.

The North’s general staff of the Korean People’s Army said in a statement on Sunday that its armed forces regard South Korean defence chief’s recent remarks on the pre-emptive strike against Pyongyang’s nuclear facilities as “an open declaration of war”.

It added that it would be met with swift and decisive military action.

“They will take prompt and decisive military actions against any attempt of the South Korean puppet authorities … And blow up the major targets including the commanding centre,” it said, according to the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

‘Declaration of war’

The North’s warning came days after Kim Tae-Young, the South’s defence minister, reiterated that Seoul would launch a pre-emptive strike if there were indications that the North was preparing a nuclear attack.

“We would have to strike right away if we detected a clear intention to attack [South Korea] with nuclear weapons”

Kim Tae-Young, South Korea’s defence minister

“We would have to strike right away if we detected a clear intention to attack [South Korea] with nuclear weapons,” Kim told a Seoul forum on Wednesday.

“It would be too late and the damage would be too big if, in the case of a North Korean nuclear attack, we had to cope with the attack.”

Kim made similar remarks in 2008 when he was chairman of the South’s joint chiefs of staff.

North Korea also reacted angrily at the time, temporarily expelling South Korean officials from a Seoul-funded industrial park at Kaesong just north of the heavily fortified border.

Tensions between the two nations rose after Pyongyang pulled out of six-party talks on its nuclear programme last year following widespread condemnation of a second long-range missile launch following its first in 2006.

Six-party talks

International efforts to bring North Korea back to six-party talks have so far been unsuccessful.

Its foreign ministry repeated last week that it would not return to the talks with the United States, China, South Korea, Russia and Japan until United Nations sanctions are lifted.

The United States and South Korea have rejected the demands, saying the North must first return to the disarmament talks.

Kurt Campbell, the US assistant secretary of state, will visit Japan and South Korea early next month to discuss regional security issues including ways to revive the six-party talks.

[original]

spotted by RS

Advertisements

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s